Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 9, Capturing My Grief

Day 9, Special Place



This is Jacobs Field.  Mike is probably the world's biggest Cleveland Indian's fan, and has been since he was ten years old.  The way he cheers for one of the losing-est teams in the Major League never ceases to amaze me.  But, he was born in Cleveland.  He was born into loving this team, so he'll tell you.  

Ever since we first met, I've heard the same strange request.  When Mike dies, he's leaving money in his will to anyone who will take his ashes and spread them across Jacobs Field.  The money is just in case you need bail, or to have a victory toast if not.  When Carpenter died, Mike was determined his son would rest in the same place as his father.

When my mother (also from Cleveland) found out what a fan he was of the city, she was determined we should all take him there.  It would be his first visit since he moved at two years old. 

So last month, my mother, father, brother, sister-in-law, 2 nieces, nephew, daughter, husband and I all packed up and headed for Cleveland.  We went to Mike's first Indian's game.  He held our son's ashes and his teddy bear through the whole game.  At one point, my dad looked over and said, "Is that my grandson you've got there?"  

It was the best game ever.

After the game, at an undisclosed time and date, a small portion of Carpenter's ashes made their way onto the field.  (Undisclosed because we haven't saved up the bail money, yet.)  Now every time Mike sees the field on tv, he just looks at me and says, "Our son has the best seat in the stadium." 

Seeing my son in the blades of grass at a baseball game...this is my grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment